According to the Centers for Disease Control
- One in three American kids and teens is overweight or obese
- Children living in low-income communities are becoming obese at rates higher than the national average
- Children facing hunger are at 22% greater risk of becoming obese
- Nearly 40% of children in African American and Hispanic communities are overweight or obese
- A child who is obese between the ages of 10 and 13 has an 80% chance of becoming an obese adult
The percentage of obese kids aged 6–11 increased from 7% in 1980 to almost 18% in 2012. At the same time, the percentage of obese teens increased
from 5% to almost 21%.